The Yeats Unwrapped iOS and Android app enhances the visitor experience to Sligo and for those interested in learning more about the county’s history and influence on Yeats’ work. The app was commissioned during the Covid-19 pandemic by Yeats Society Sligo, when building closures as a result of ongoing restrictions meant that the team had time to devote to identifying new ways to provide an immersive Yeats experience.
The app uses our location-aware multimedia app platform, which means that once a trail is selected to explore, specific places that shaped the poetry of WB Yeats are triggered automatically via GPS providing the user with information about the location’s impact and relevance to his works. This experiential content works offline, enabling users to explore the six themed countywide trails with ease. Yeats Society Sligo also aims to utilise the app to notify users of upcoming events and workshops that the centre will facilitate, leveraging the functionality of the application to engage new and returning visitors.
The trails featured in the app include:
· Classic Trail: A trail of ten stops that enables users to visit all the well-known places associated with the Yeats family
· Lough Gill Trail: The lake at the heart of Yeats’ most famous poem ‘The Lake Isle of Innisfree is the central focus of this trail, which has eight stops.
· North Sligo Trail: This trail of nine stops features the landmark of North Sligo that is Benbulben mountain, with which Yeats had a spiritual connection.
· Rosses Point Trail: The beauty and wilderness of Rosses Point continues to draw visitors to experience it and its indelible links with the great Nobel poet on this trail of seven stops.
· Sligo Town Trail: See Sligo town through the eyes of the Yeats family with this trail of 13 stops
· South Sligo Trail: Enjoy the beautiful, unspoiled landscape of South Sligo which WB Yeats often referred to in his work. There are 17 stops on this trail which take in River, Sea, and Mountain.
The team at AT-Creative are passionate about what they do and are always ready to help with ideas and suggestions. They are professional in their approach to a project and bring a wealth of experience to the table. They set deadlines which they keep and are patient when the client is a little behind! And they worked with our team to keep it moving and solve any problems. All along, we felt our App project was in safe hands – and we were right. Our new Yeats Society Sligo trails app – Yeats Unwrapped – will make a great contribution to the visitor experience in Sligo. Thanks to Dan and all his colleagues. We recommend AT-Creative without hesitation!Susan O’Keeffe, Director of Yeats Society Sligo
Speaking at the launch of the app, John Feerick, Sligo LEADER Partnership Company said,
Well done Susan, Chris and all at The Yeats’s Society on the app. It looks great and it will be a welcome addition to the Sligo Tourism offering. On behalf of Sligo LEADER we were delighted to be involved in the funding of the project.”